Lovely Overdamper Piano

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 18:02:45 -0800

Pierre said: "
Joe, I have replaced birdcage dampers a few times because de old ones =
with
de age where getting to hard. (it made a difference)

So I suppose that when new most of the birdcage pianos had more =
performing
dampers than what we can hear now. (so why not replace these like we =
change
the dampers in modern pianos ?)

=20

Bluthner made beautifull sounding birdcages wich had a much better =
damping
than most other brands. I saw several of those Bluthners and even with =
the
original dampers they work quite well (not as good as modern dampers but
close)

=20

=20

=20

Pierre,
I have no problem with replacing the damper felt, as long as it is the CORRECT felt, with the CORRECT fiber orientation.<G> To replace the damper felt with MODERN type is blastphamous in my opinion, as it makes it sound like a "wimpy" modern piano and no longe mimics the "ancient" instruments, which is the intent of the design. This also follows (especially), with Square Grands. In that particular case, you open up a VERY LARGE can of worms!
I equate the modernization of OverDamper Pianos as trying to make Mason & Hamlin sound/play like a Steinway! (It can be done, but WHY?)
The scaling and the intended overring of the dampers makes music of a different character, especially when they are tuned in a Victorian Temperament!<G>
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I