(careful, it is about temperaments)

Byeway222@aol.com Byeway222@aol.com
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:42:21 EST

Hi List,
The researcher  who lists the keys in which various composers of  the
Classical period have written piano pieces appears to be basing  his conclusions only
on the 'title'  key of each  piece.  I have just raided the piano stool and
find in Beethoven's sonata  in B flat Opus 109 (one of his last)  that,
although the sonata does begin  and end in B flat, he goes through no less than 10
other key signatures  (including 6 flats) within sections of the different
movements.  Each  changing key signature coincides with a changing  mood in the
music.   It's a bit more complicated than we think!

ric