Assessing bearing on Ivers and Pond 1904 upright. Advice sought.

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:24:00 -0500

Measure front and rear downbearing in several places in every section of the
scale - especially in the killer octave area. Measure crown between all
ribs. Play the piano - how does it sound? Is there a bad killer octave area?
What do other areas of the scale sound like?

IMHO, if you have no audible killer octave area and good overall soundboard
function and reasonable downbearing and crown everywhere, you might have
good results with the original soundboard. If you have an audible killer
octave area or other bad areas and no crown and no downbearing, you are
pretty much guaranteed you need a new board. If it sounds good, but you are
lacking downbearing and/or crown, it's going to be a crap shoot if you don't
replace the board.

And if you need any recommendations on where to go to get the soundboard
replaced, I could probably give you a name.....

Terry Farrell
Farrell Piano
www.farrellpiano.com