Assessing bearing on Ivers and Pond 1904 upright. Advice sought.

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 17:01:57 -0800 (PST)

     I should be able to get you some pictures, soon.
     This thing was probably a "top of the line"
model, as it has 6 back posts, acanthus leaves cast
into the pedals, etc..
     And it's HUGE !
     Here's the "goofy", though: while I concur ( in
theory, as
I've never installed a  board ) that rib crowned
construction makes the most sense, I must also testify
that this, my Packard and my 2 1890's Knabes, ALL have
the fat, wide, low ribs allegedly indicative of
compression crowning, yet they are the most RESONANT
uprights I've ever heard, with the "livest" boards (
on the very scientific "Thump-Fist" test ) Even after
1oo years in Georgia, where the humidity is 80-95% all
summer, and down to 25% in winter.  And very few
cracks.  So, is there is something going on here that
I don't understand ?  According to the general
consensus of this list, shouldn't these boards be
total "trash" by now ?
     But back to my initial question: What sort of
bearing, at what points on the bridge, should I
consider "acceptable" on these things, strung and at
pitch ?  And how should I determine it ?  I have a
Lowell guage with a  busted glass and  one of those
brass rocking thingees, that's all.   But with these
wide, low ribs, I feel very seriously challenged to
try "piggybacking" a thin laminate on top of them,
glued on in in a flexed state, to try to increase the
crown without replacing the boards. Perhaps even from
the front sides, glued and doweled through to the
existing ribs. I just would like to know "how much"
increase in crown I should shoot for ?
    I know this sounds "nuts-o" to a lot of you, but I
may be willing to take a  gamble on it and report
back, and would appreciate any suggestions that more
experienced members may have who are fortunate enough
to have customers willing to pay for new boards, just
to goad me on.
     In the spirit of "Mikey will eat anything!"

     Thanks!

--- Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:

> Gordon
>    Betcha there won't be a stich a crown.  If  this
> is flat ribbed style
> Ivers then there is no beam depth to the  ribs  to
> support crown & whatever
> compression was in the panel to  create crown
> originally is .....long gone.
>   Luv em though.  My first spec piano was a
> beautiful Ivers & Pond up 30
> summpin yrs ago.
>  Got a picture
>    Dale Erwin
>
> I'm  getting ready to dissassemble a magnificent,
> massive
> Ivers and Pond  "artcase" upright with mandolin
> rail,
> soft pedal compensating WN&G  action, etc..  Besides
> checking "that there is some", what guidleines  for
> checking the bearing on this thing, strung and up to
> pitch, are  there, before I break it down and lose
> all
> this available data ? In other  words: how much
> should
> I look for, and what is the best method of
> measuring
> it?
>
> Thanks!

Just $16.99/mo. or less.