Lovely birdcage - what to do?

Geoff Sykes thetuner@ivories52.com
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 13:54:38 -0800

Yeah, after-ring. The damping on these things definitely left something to
be desired. Thanks for the response. I'm sure my customer will be glad to
hear that there is hope for improvement and her piano is not yet dead. And
thanks for the tip on bolts and screws. Always a good thing to check. So
easy to forget and/or ignore.

-- Geoff Sykes
-- Assoc. Los Angeles

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of John Ross
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2006 1:31 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Lovely birdcage - what to do?

I tuned an 1885 German 'birdcage', a couple of months ago, it was
original, and looked as good as yours.
There was no indication, that any strings had broken, and I tuned it to
A 440.
Amazingly, it didn't have as much after-ring, which is usually
associated with these pianos.
I can see no problem, bringing it up a semi-tone at a time. Off course,
if strings (more than a couple) break, reconsider.
I kind of get the idea, that in some of these cases, the pianos, were
allowed to go down in pitch, each time they were tuned. This resulted
than the strings being less stressed, than other pianos that age, so
they can take it.
Tighten all screws, and bolts first.
Good luck.
John M. Ross