electronic pitch source

David Andersen david@davidandersenpianos.com
Sun, 08 Jan 2006 12:29:01 -0800

> Marshall-
> =20
> If someone taught you to check A4 with F3, they don't know how to tune a
> piano.
> Do you know the overtone series? (Also called partial series)
> Do you know what coincident partials are?
> These are the first things you need to know.  If you know them, you can f=
igure
> out almost every problem of tuning for yourself.  If you don't know them,=
 you
> won't really understand the answers, even if someone gives you the right
> answer.
> 1) You need to be able to play an overtone (partial) series on any note, =
up to
> the 8th partial.
> 2) You need to be able to find the "least coincident partials" between an=
y two
> notes, and especially between thirds, fourths and fifths.
> You need to stop everything and learn these two skills.  It may take a fe=
> days to learn them.  Eveything will begin to make sense when you have the=
se
> skills.
> =20
> Sincerely,
> Ed Sutton

With all due respect, Ed, making these kinds of statements is
ill-considered; very judgemental and dogmatic.  There are many, many ways t=
get to be a proficient piano tuner.  Perhaps Marshall has a natural affinit=
for listening to the whole tone, as artists hear the piano.  Maybe followin=
that affinity, and trusting it, will take him to the place he wants to go.
Who are you to tell him he=B9s wrong, or that his mentor is wrong?  Is this
the way we welcome new people into our little world? Marshall obviously has
a big passion for this, and is trying to find his way. We need to be
supportive. I=B9ve never done a tuning with an ETD, and I=B9ve never consciousl=
=B3partial-matched=B2  during any of the 25,000 tunings I=B9ve done.  I=B9ve got a
pretty good practice, and I can tune as well as almost anyone in the world.

Different strokes for different folks.......please.

David Andersen
Malibu, CA