NO NO NO was Re: electronic pitch source

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sun, 08 Jan 2006 21:27:59 +0100

Hi Don

Nope... I hit the nail on the button because I knew what I was doing.
Once again.  Using F3 to set A4 to a 440 fork simply results in A4-s
fundemental being slightly shy of 440.  Tuning A3 to A4 afterwards to a
tight 4:2 by and large compensates for this. The resulting A3 2nd
partial may indeed end up being 0.3 cents shy of 440... but thats not a
big problem.

There's many ways to skin a cat... it ends up being what you are used to
and what you know how to do. I would also point out that some folks are
more comfortable with the faster beat rates using A3 yeilds as compared
to A2.  And some just dont like the reach between F2 and A4 which
requires you to use both hands instead of having one free to Tune with.

There are other tests you can use as well if you like... in the end it
only matters whether or not you know what you are doing and you can end
up close enough to your target pitch.

Nothing is written in stone Alan. :)

Cheers
RicB

Hi Ric,

Yes you may have--but only because you failed to make the beat rate between
f3 and a4 (actually a5) identical. If you had then A4 would have been flat.
It might still be within the "tolerance" range on the exam however.

Or else your carefully "calibrated" fork was sharp (cooling as you
struck it?)