electronic pitch source - Seiko

ed440@mindspring.com ed440@mindspring.com
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 08:18:50 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Ric-
You will hear a very, very loud beat at 880hz, and an almost inaudible beat at 440hz.  Impossible to ignore the 880hz beat.  The Seiko gives a harmonic series, so 440hz on the piano will be flat due to inharmonicity of the piano string.
Ed

/Ric-
The Seiko is fine for calibrating electronic devices, but not aural
tuning.  It has an extremely loud second partial and a very soft first
partial./

I'm not quite sure I see the problem with that. If you can test beat
rates between a reliable pitch source and the note to be tuned with a
test interval (or two)... you should be able to get near beatless with
the pitch source. That said... as I also said... seems like the
Sanderson tool is the thing to get... if a bit more pricey.