(careful, it is about temperaments)

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 15:52:00 EST

Greetings,
      I wrote:
>        Interesting, and it is my understanding that every time an ET piano
>has been compared side by side to a mild WT piano, the WT piano is
>judged more
>in tune by a large percentage of listeners. >>

Roger replies:
>>         I get the same results as you are are
seeing.   Broadwood's best 1885 is well liked here. The other comment
that I get, is the piano is easier to play.<<

      I use a lot of Broadwood tunings, but have found that several customers
had problems with the fifths in the "near" keys, (not the slightly wider
thirds in the more remote keys!).  For those that wanted less of this, I have
found that Jim Coleman's #11 does a fine job of providing harmonic variety.
      David L. mentions that the WT sounds better until you get into the key
of Gb.  Hmm,  it is rather rare to find anything in Gb, but when you do, you
will notice that the composers of the 18-19th century seem to make use of the
pure fifths that are found in those remote keys.  The added speed of the thirds
is a problem for tuners, but I haven't found musicians being bothered by
them, especially as they come to realize how much more clarity is in the music on
a WT.  Plus, the damper pedal can be used far more, without the haze of ET
making everything muddy with long sustains.  Anytime you can lift the dampers,
the piano has the potential of being more resonant, since there are more strings
singing.  Highly tempered thirds also maintain consonance farther down the
scale than the ET thirds, which become dissonant as soon as the 5:4 partials
fall into the critical band, (usually around C2).
      Tuners listen differently than musicians or music lovers.  We were
trained to tune by learning to avoid anything that would produce a wider third
that the ET third.  This, I think, is the reason that the majority of resistance
to WT comes from technicians, not musicans.  I have said it before, there is
nothing musically magical about a 13.7 third.  It is simply the result of
having 12 tones in an octave.  There are a lot of other musical resources in thirds
both larger and smaller.
       Since the vast bulk of music completely avoids the most highly
tempered keys, and in classical music, those keys were used for particular effects,
where is the benefit of compromising everything just to insure that a 18 cent
third won't be heard?  I haven't found it, but I have found a loyal and
growing clientele that is happy to pay top dollar for non-ET work.  They speak of
having found new life in their old music and wouldn't dream of returning to
strict ET unless they are going to play 20th century music exclusively.
      So, there is money in new directions here.  I will be presenting a
class next summer on selling the different tunings, so for those that are
intrigued, make plans to go to the convention.  There will also be another temperament
class presenting, (I think), instruction  for aurally tuning these things.
This marks a fairly high level of support for non-ET tuning in the Guild, which
is timely, since there are a LOT of tuners that have made the switch from
mono to multi-temperament capability.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT