electronic pitch source

ed440@mindspring.com ed440@mindspring.com
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 14:48:46 -0500 (EST)

RicB wrote:  Dean Reyburn used to offer
an electronic pitch source that was quite inexpensive. Seiko I think,
and they were not exactly on the nose... but within a 0.5 cent window or
something.

Ric-
The Seiko is fine for calibrating electronic devices, but not aural tuning.  It has an extremely loud second partial and a very soft first partial.

Marshall-
For the time being, you might do better to carry your fork in your pocket, and maybe get it calibrated to pocket temperature.  (I'm assuming it's a steel fork.  Aluminum forks are too temperature sensitive.)

The Sanderson tool gives four pitches, so it's not much more expensive than four top quality forks, not to mention the 50cents sliding scale.  I want one, too.

Ed Sutton