Pitch Raise

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sat, 07 Jan 2006 11:45:00 -0600

> I am a novice tuner learning to tune aurally. I am confused as to how to
> do an effective aural pitch raise.

It'll probably take you longer to learn to do an effective aural
pitch raise dependably than to learn to tune acceptably.

> How can you accurately judge whether a piano needs a pitch raise
> (without an electronic guage)?

I don't think you can, accurately, with any method. So much depends
on the situation, and every tuner has a different threshold. Just
figuring out where the piano is in pitch is guesswork. If you live
in a part of the world that has seasons, you'll find often tuned
pianos that are very close in the A-4 area, five beats flat or sharp
in the low tenor, and the same in octave 6. The bass will be pretty
close, and the high treble could be anywhere. Most of your clientele
won't be too interested in paying for pitch corrections twice a
year, so you do the best you can in one pass.

At A-4, each beat per second is four cents. I tune school systems
where the pianos are off 4+ beats (16+ cents) sharp or flat at A-4.
They get one pass. While this won't produce concert level tuning,
it's surprising how nice sounding a tuning you can produce like this
with practice, which is good, because that's all they will get under
these circumstances.

In other venues, a 4 cent or smaller change will require a pitch
adjustment pass.

Bottom line is, there isn't a rule. Your judgment is made on the
likelihood of your meeting the requirements of the tuning in this
instance, on this piano, in one pass.

> Once you determine a pitch raise is necessary, is there a particular
> sequence to use when pitch raising? I am aware of the general guideline
> of overshooting a string by half the amount that it is flat. Do you do
> this on every note, or is there a certain graduation as you go to the
> bass and the treble?

I start with the overshoot at the fork, and set a decent, but not
overly fussy temperament. I then chase the overshoot beat rate by
octaves up to the treble break, and down to the low tenor. The
overshoot in the bass will be less, or none. Overshoot through
octave 6 will be more than in the center, tapering to none at the top.

Again, everyone slays their pitch correction dragon in their own
fashion. You'll just have to keep paying attention and adjusting
your approach until you find a set of processes that work for you.

Ron N