felt mutes -- was RE: Working while tuning

John Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 21:10:48 -0600

Thanks, Terry.

I've never used a felt wedge except once when I tried it in the bass. It
kept falling out, so I didn't use it again. I like to strip mute the
bass.for speed. Actually, my MO for verticals is to strip the entire piano,
but tune unisons as I go, pulling out the felt when moving to the next
string set.  It's quite a bit faster than moving mutes. Grands are sometimes
done this way, but the action cloth I use for verticals is not quite thick
enough for some grands, so most of the time I use the large rubber wedges
(w/o the wire.)  I wouldn't think the narrow rubber mutes would do that well
in a grand, although you can make anything work if you want to. :-)

John Formsma