Cracking the unisons

b98tu@t-online.de b98tu@t-online.de
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 23:43:58 +0100

No they don=B4t and there are good physical reasons why they don=B4t. =
(You will find not one tuner at Steinway (at least in Hamburg) who is =
allowed to service concerts with an ETD for example). This has nothing =
to do with traditionalism or ignorance to modern technology.=20
Most modern ETD=B4s are doing fast fourier transformation (FFT) for =
pitch calculation.=20
Be sure, the he ear has no FFT transformator... There is a big =
difference in what you get measured and what you hear.
In some ETD manuals you find sometimes statements of "0.1 Hz accuracy"
This is true for a signal that would not float in pitch over more than 2 =
or 3 seconds to catch enough samples at the current possible =
samplerates. Piano sounds are a really nonlinear matter that can float =
in pitch up to some Hz over a second, when strucked firm. By =
transforming a signal from the time domain into the frequency domain =
with the desired accuracy (what most ETD=B4s do), you loose the =
information when a singal passes exactly what frequency at what time. =
Tuning with an ETD makes it necessary to tune at low volume levels =
(Pitch float is less at low volume levels). A good aural tuner tune with =
a firm struck, to catch also the transient phase of the sound at higher =
volumes. Low volume tuning is like not voicing the left pedal, it leaves =
the transient phase untuned. But sometimes it may happen, that the =
pianist also use volumes above mp...

Bernhard Stopper

Qui habet aures audiendi audiat

  ----- Original Message -----=20