Cracking the unisons

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 10:45:50 EST

David writes:

<< I think those who use an ETD tune unisons without it because it's faster.<<

   Damn right.  Consistant unisons might sound alike, but upon closer
measurement, we find the three strings all over the place on certain notes.  This is
the "Weinreich" effect. Simply stopping all strings to the SAT will leave a
very inconsistant bunch of notes,(at a recording/concert level of examination).
   I usually let the SAT tune the outer strings of a trichord, then use my
ear to settle all the phase requirements as I drop the middle string into the
mix.  It lets the organic quality of my judgement have the final say in the
fastest time possible. Some notes, I ignore the machine and place everything by
ear, since the box will occasionally get confused.

>>Though tuning unisons in the bass can sometimes be problematic with an ETD,
<<

        I agree, aural unisons in the bass are faster because you are going
to have to aurally check wherever the machine puts the notes, anyway!

>>And for the very high treble, an ETD for tuning unisons can be quite
useful. >>

Becomes more true every year...

Ed Foote RPT