Flooded Bass String Question

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 23:28:50 -0800

Spencer,
IMO the strings are the least of your problems.
If the piano was wet for that long , It's my opinion that things will
start coming apart before too much longer.
I might be all wet here--Sorry-- but soundboards ,bridges and water
don't mix well.
Tom Driscoll RPT

Tom and Spencer,
It's a Yamaha! I truly doubt there would be any problem with the case coming apart in those circumstances. My Daughter has a P-2 that was in a Gym fire. the treble end was afire, as were the keys! The piano was immersed in 2 feet of water for a while, in the process of putting out the fire. Once the fire was out the piano was lifted out of the pyre with a fork lift and set, (very uncerimoniously), out in the parking lot. It sat there for 4 days while the idiot school bean counters decided if they wanted to sell it to me. While all that was going on, some well-meaning soul opened the top to let it "air out"! This is Oregon. The natural thing happened....It rained. The only damage was to the dampers and hammers. (The hammers were actually improved with the rain!<G>)
This happened about 25 years ago. I never felt comfortable about selling the piano, so I gave it to my Daughter, just in case it decided to self-destruct. It hasn't! I tune it and it's JUST FINE. No evidence of any structural damage what-so-ever! Them Yamamas is tough, in that regard.
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I