M H A

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 11:01:29 -0800

I have a Mason Hamlin A.

I remember a discussion abut the dreadfully short tail length.

You will see that (photo attached) there is about 1/2 inch from the rear
bridge pin to the start of the winding twist of the bass string.  Not much
flexibility in that set up.

It's easy to see that even if the bass string is trying to move the bridge
up and down, the plate is trying to hold it still.

Del---I know, I know it needs a board and bridge. I won't disagree. Well
it's not going to get it.

I do plan to pull the plate, refinish the board and plate.  Rescale and
restring too.

Question:  Since it is 2 inches from the rear bridge pin to the hitch pin,
if I ground down the plate enough to use vertical hitch pins, would I get
enough improvement to make it worth while?  Any thoughts on what kind of
bass string loops to use?

Thanks

Carl Meyer PTG assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.