Message For Marshall

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 08:43:45 -0800

Dear Marshall-

"The impressions I get from your messages are that you can't identify the causes of severe instability in a piano, or don't understand how to raise pitch, and that you don't understand basic techniques for muting and finding tuning pins.

If you really want a career as a piano technician, I believe the most cost effective path to a good income will be for you to attend the Emil Fries school, which specializes in training people with sight problems. It will be worth making a great effort to attend this school. Then you will be able to begin your career knowing you know what you need to know to call yourself a piano technician, and you will not worry what customers think of you. You will not have to "fake it" because you will know how to do it. Five years from now you will be earning more, working on good pianos, and building a reputation that brings you good customers by referral."

Sincerely,
Ed Sutton

I've already suggested that....sigh! It is painfully apparent that some intensive, hands-on, instruction is needed, IMO. There's got to be a way to make that happen. We need good techs, with the intensity of Marshall. I hope he reconsiders making the move.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I