Message for Marshall

pianotune05 pianotune05@comcast.net
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 09:19:48 -0500

Hi Ed,
Thanks for the e-mail.  Fortunately, I understand how pianos can go ut of
pitch and muting, I'm just not quick at it.  I'm sure there are techniques
that the Emil Fries school could teach me in terms of finding pins etc.  I"m
going out of town next week to get more hands on with an RPT who has been
assisting me through e-mail.  I've learned tunig through another excellant
RPT in Chicago and the Rand y Potter course I hae here as a reference.  I'm
practicing quite a bit on hammer technique, but I just need to increase my
speed and develope a quicker method for finding pins, or the right pins and
muting.  Right nw, I count the pins and use both hadns as a guide, and both
to help find the right strings to mute.  So there's lost time there.  Once
I'm on the right pin and in the right set, I'm usually fine, but if I
accidently move the lever, then I have to count all over again and get
repositioned.

I have nothing agaist Emil Fries school. I think their great!  I'm just in a
position where I cannot relocate, place bound as some call it.  If I we
didn't have my wife's cleaning service which is our source of income a new
baby, and financial diffiiculties, I might consider just packing up and
heading west, or North West.  It might take a little longer, but I'm sure
I'll discover a pattern that workds for finding the pins etc, works in
speeding up the tuning process.  Fortunately, I do quite a bit of reading,
gleaning from this awesome list we're on, and the constant tuning practice.

As for pitch falling, loose tuning pins, cracked bass bridges, cracks in the
plate or sound board all can contribute.  Of course that piano being close
to the front door of the store isn't that great for the piano either.

Well have a great day.  Write again.  Talk t oyou soon.
Marshall