Working while tuning

pianotune05@comcast.net pianotune05@comcast.net
Thu, 05 Jan 2006 02:23:00 +0000

Hi Andrew,
This piano was aweful.  I mean it sounded like I had two different pianos on the same keyboard. lol  I'm going to go back and go over it again if they'll let me.  The question I have is, will it keep falling below pitch as soon or shortly after I bring it up?  That's a pain because when doing octaves, if one falls, then you're off track and you have to go back and fix the other note.  I mean I had them in pretty good too.  I'm not sure why, but when i have a note in, and I raise the pitch of it's octave, I have a sense as to the ball park where it should be by pulling out the right tones from the muddle a note gets when its way sharp. I wonder if my hearing is compensating for my sight dificulties.
Marshall
p.s. my hearing isn't perfect, the trebble gives me a lot of challanges when trying to match it with the other octaves.

From: Andrew and Rebeca Anderson <anrebe@sbcglobal.net>
The amount of time spent at a piano is related to what it needs (as well as your experience).

If a piano needs pitch-correction, you tune fast and dirty, essentially re-tensioning the piano and then coming back one, or two times to fine-tune it.  If it is way low I figure three passes with the second pass a little better and the fine-tuning pass last.  If you try to fine-tune it on each pass you will lose time.  With practice you will get a feel for how much to move a pin to get the pitch change you want.  Some technicians, more experienced than I, will crank every pin without listening when they find a piano low and then tune it.  That takes more confidence than I have ;-)

It all comes down to experimentation and practice.

I spent all day working on two neglected pianos, one a refurbished wreck which was probably better before it was refurbished.  Spent quite a bit of time pushing beckets back into the pins, driving coils below the beckets, tightening loose coils, un-braiding tangled coils etc.  At the end of the day I got a very good cheque.

Good luck,
Andrew Anderson