Working while tuning

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 04 Jan 2006 20:07:47 -0600

The amount of time spent at a piano is related to what it needs (as
well as your experience).

If a piano needs pitch-correction, you tune fast and dirty,
essentially re-tensioning the piano and then coming back one, or two
times to fine-tune it.  If it is way low I figure three passes with
the second pass a little better and the fine-tuning pass last.  If
you try to fine-tune it on each pass you will lose time.  With
practice you will get a feel for how much to move a pin to get the
pitch change you want.  Some technicians, more experienced than I,
will crank every pin without listening when they find a piano low and
then tune it.  That takes more confidence than I have ;-)

It all comes down to experimentation and practice.

I spent all day working on two neglected pianos, one a refurbished
wreck which was probably better before it was refurbished.  Spent
quite a bit of time pushing beckets back into the pins, driving coils
below the beckets, tightening loose coils, un-braiding tangled coils
etc.  At the end of the day I got a very good cheque.

Good luck,
Andrew Anderson