RUBBER MUTES

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 16:27:50 -0500

I'm curious, how long does it take everyone here to tune?  It's still =
taking me 3hours ;(  Will a new lever speed me up?

I'm real regular at 2 hours for a pitch raise and tuning. Today I tuned =
a newer K&C (Samick) Studio (first time appointment for piano/client). =
It was 25 cents flat. Drove up the driveway at 10:00 AM, and backed out =
the driveway at 12:04 AM. A full tuning on a piano that hasn't been =
tuned in a year ranges anywhere between 50 and 90 minutes for me - =
usually about 75 minutes.

A good lever will help you speed up - not immediately, but with time. I =
found that I kept hitting plateaus - I wouldn't get faster for a long =
time and then suddenly I would seem to leap (or at least inch along) to =
a new level. I have also found that so much about tuning faster is =
simply finding peace with what can and can't be done with any particular =
string/piano. A string that has false beats isn't going to tune cleanly =
no matter how many times you yank the pitch up and down - the trick is =
to develop an ability to recognize what ain't going to get any better.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----=20
  I'll have to check out piano tech's catelog for those mutes.  I didn' =
t see them in schaff?  The metal sticks get in the way especially in the =
trebble. =20

  I'm curious, how long does it take everyone here to tune?  It's still =
taking me 3hours ;(  Will a new lever speed me up?
  Marshall