Knabe Tuning Mystery

Carlos Ralon ceralon@comcast.net
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:03:07 -0500

I am just finishing a full restoration on a 1893 Knabe 57" upright.  Why =
the tuning instability?  This model Knabe is VERY suseptible to temp and =
humidity change.  Only because of personal reasons did I take on this =
job.  In other words it's a freebe for the steaming historic Liberty =
museum ship, the S.S. John W. Brown.  Both ship and piano built in =
Baltimore.  The 3/4 plate flange is tightly wedged beneath the pin =
block, and is wraped under the piano bottom and screwed there. I think =
this plate and S.B. configuration does not allow for much movement due =
to climatic change.  I discovered this piano in a wharehouse on a =
Baltimore dock next to the ship.  It had been there since WW II covered =
with what pidgens do.  The tuning was still near 435 and the pins were =
tight. However the SB was split pulling the ribs loose.  One should note =
that this era Knabe used #1 by only 2" tuning pins, take care what size =
you re-install.  We have replaced the sound board and the bass pin =
block.  The bridges were fine.  We had to remove the bass side of the =
case to get the extremely tight fitting plate out of the piano.
The action has a double stack with rocker capstans and is very hard to =
find action parts.  After stringing and kept in proper climate =
conditions the tuning is very stable at A440 with a booming tone some =
grands would like to have.  I've had the piano in my shop for about 4 =
years, working between the pay jobs.  IMO this type of job should never =
be undertaken with profit in mind. Maybe before I check out, this old =
veteran ship of WW II  will get a nice piano for her crew and passangers =
as she visits ports along the Atlantic coast.  Visit it at =
www.liberty-ship.com.=20
Carlos Ralon, RPT