Separate business/personal accounts?

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 00:38:04 -0500

David Ilvedson wrote:
But you are in the business of piano service...why the hiding around
from a few fees...

Umm, because I'm cheap??  :-)

And now for Dean's rant. Just because we emphatically proclaim we are
free does not mean that we are. The only reason the bank can get away
with charging extra for a business account is because we now live in a
democracy and not a republic. Businesses are a minority compared to
individuals. Since we now live in a democracy (majority rules, not the
rule of law) and the Banking industry is heavily protected by the
government, the Banks can trample the rights of businesses (i.e, employ
dishonest scales: one set of charges for the majority consumer- the
individual, a higher set of charges for minority consumer- the
businessman- simply because minority consumer does not have as much
political clout). Banks aren't the only ones. The local power company,
another heavily protected industry, also charges a higher rate for
commercial accounts, as does the phone company. Many other examples
abound. These higher charges are highly immoral in a Judeo-Christian
worldview and in all of Western tradition. There should be one standard
of justice for all and one set of scales in the marketplace.

Define businessman if you will. Isn't everyone trying to make money a
businessman? Just because someone gets a regular paycheck from a company
does not mean he is not in business. He is selling his expertise to one
company; we sell ours to lots of companies. And many people get
additional income from outside of their regular full time jobs:
investments, rentals, ebay, etc. How does that righteously place them in
some special category that enables protected industries to discriminate
against them? The social category we have of "business" is an artificial
construct that is immorally used to "legitimately" steal from people.
This category as it is poorly defined is just plain wrong. Anyone who
generates any kind of wealth is in business, and that includes just
about everyone over the age of 10. (okay, it should include teenagers.
Maybe I should say it includes everyone who acts over the age of 10).
Even my 8 year old and 10 year old generate some wealth.

BTW, I do have a bank business account with a DBA. I found a bank (Fifth
Third) that does not charge extra. They are out there. But I would have
no moral dilemma using a personal account for my business if I needed
to.

Blessings,

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359