Separate business/personal accounts?

pianotune05 pianotune05@comcast.net
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 22:20:43 -0500

Hi Dean,
Thanks for the tip.  The account is a personal one that I use exclusivly =
for tuning, and I agree the bank charges for the business types of =
accounts. My wife has a DBA for her cleaning business.=20

You're in Indiana too I see.  Is Terre Haute any larger than South Bend? =
 What is a good way to market this business if South Bend has at least 8 =
other tuners, only one music store?  I'm just getting in to this, and =
I'm having trouble breaking in through the"we already have a tuner =
nonsense. =20
Marshall
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Dean May=20
  To: 'Pianotech'=20
  Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 9:52 PM
  Subject: RE: Separate business/personal accounts?

  Marshall,

  =20

  It does not have to be a business account. In fact, this is usually =
not desirable as banks tend to tack on all kinds of extra charges to =
business accounts. Just make sure all checks are made out to you =
personally and there will be no problem depositing them into a =
"personal" account. If the checks are made out to a business name, like =
Marshall's Piano Service, the bank can balk at depositing them into an =
account that does not have that as a DBA.=20

  =20

  But as far as the IRS is concerned the main thing is that it be a =
separate account, not that it be called business account, just that it =
be an account used exclusively for business.=20

  =20

  Dean

  Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

  PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272