Dale, Dave and Dave on rebuilding

william ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 11:16:30 -0500

On Jan 3, 2006, at 9:49 AM, Ric Brekne wrote:
> The article did bring up one question in my mind however.  Just how
> much extra work / time (and thereby expense) goes into a sucessfull
> re-design of a small piano. In Dales example it seemed like things
> went rather straight forward and required only minimal planning and
> thinking through, yet in the first example by Dave Snyder there
> seemed to be all kinds of issues that needed work arounds.

The accounting question aside ("Just how much extra work /
time...."), the three seemed at first to be talking past each each
other, ie., their issues didn't connect for an actual give-and-take.
That being said, the points presented by each and collected as a
whole made a good overview. Both David Hughes and Dave Snyder say
that some of the things which can't be changed in a small rebuilding
shop (the rim) limit what is gained by re-design of things things can
be changed. Also that running a business tends to encourage (demand,
actually) predictable workflow and results.

Dale's example on a Steinway O assumes a good rim and a name which
someone would want to pay money for, and goes on to list
modifications standard now for a number of well-respected rebuilders.
But no mention of lesser pianos, such as the one which suggested this
article to Mary Smith.

I remember back in 1992, hearing Chris Robinson say that he had
fooled around with installing a plywood board in a runt grand just to
see if he could boost the musical capabilities of such common
mongrels. It didn't sound like a successful experiment.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Lady, this piano is what it is, I am what I am, and you are what you
are"
     ...........From a recurring nightmare.