RUBBER MUTES

James Grebe pianoman@accessus.net
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 07:28:30 -0600

Hi Marshall,
A vision impaired tuner I used to work with used 2 regular treble mutes =
with a small screw eye in each one and a small length of string holding =
them together and he would place them by hand.
Jim
James Grebe
Piano-Forte Tuning & Repair
Member of M.P.T.
Creator of Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups, piano benches, writing =
instruments
(314) 845-8282
1526 Raspberry Lane
Arnold, MO 63010
BECOME WHAT YOU BELIEVE!
pianoman@accessus.net
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: pianotune05@comcast.net=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, January 02, 2006 7:12 PM
  Subject: RUBBER MUTES

  Hi everyone. =20
  I must say. I'm enjoying this list as a new tuner.  Susan and everyone =
else that wrote, thanks for the insight.  When you're vision impaired, =
any extra sight helps. ;)  Speaking of my sight challanges I have a =
question.=20

  What does everyone here do in order to overcome the challange of using =
rubber mutes in the trebble when tuning unisons?  The stick ones get in =
the way of the hammers.  I don't want to use a wedge mute fearing that =
it might get loose and fall down into the piano. =20

  Speaking of unisons.  An RPT in Chicago taught me the "cracking the =
unison" method, and I must say, it's much better than using that pain in =
the rump red felt.  When you're sight impaired that felt gives you =
headaches.  Do any of you use that method that originated from Virgil =
Smith? =20
  Have a great night everyone.  Susan, I'll let you know when my first =
real tuning lever arrives.  Does anyone want my student lever for fire =
wood after I receive my real lever?
  Marshall
   .=20

    -------------- Original message --------------=20
    From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20

       Thanks Phil
      Same to you.
        Sorry for the delay....Holidays & all.   The product brand we =
use to letter the embossing on the plates after guilding  is" Zig " & =
it's called Painty twin.  It's black enamel on one end & white on the =
other.  I'm not sure if it comes in black only.  We got the pen at =
Michaels art supply.   It says Manufactured by Kuretake =
Co.LTD.......Japan Or just go on line & see what you can find. The tip =
appears to be fine point made of felt.
         We have a more difficult time finding rub on numbers & letters =
decals for serial &  model numbers.  Typically we have found them at =
graphic supply houses.  Archetects have used them but We haven't bought =
for a while. sooo dunno.  We  have a procedure to get those on straight =
but I wont' go there now.
      Lettering the plate with the zig product has become way less =
tedious & looks professional.  If one makes an error just wipe up with =
mineral spirits & start over.=20
       The decals are rubbed on & then sprayed over with clear spray can =
lacquer or whatever..  We resort to drawing the string size no.s on with =
the same pen as the embossing as the tiny no. decals aredifficult & =
troublesome to handle, being that small.  Hope this helps.
       Dale Erwin
      Hi Dale - Happy New Year to you.

      You told me about the pen used to trace the letters..I am =
wondering=20
      about the method used for the Serial# and Model#. I always =
struggle with=20
      this all-important touch of the plate.

      Thanks for your advice,

      -Phil