Tuning Hammers

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 2 Jan 2006 19:16:56 -0800

Marshall said: "
HI Joe,
Thank you for the idea and insight. Are you the Joe that Randy Potter =
mentions in his course? Randy's course is pretty good although not =
great for those of us who are vision impaired. =20

What's your take on rubber mutes in the trebble, getting them to stay in =
etc?
Marshall,
Yes, unfortunately, Randy does bandy my name about. A bit less, now, than in the earlier versions of his course, (thank god!)<G>
John Rhodes came up with a rubber mute that is attached to a magnet/cord. He was an instructor at the Piano Hospital, for a while and made it for the students, (visually impaired). I have regular contact with a visually impaired technician who uses one and loves it.
Since you are "into" the RP Course, it's kinda closing the barn door after the horse is out, BUT, you could recieve a more in-depth piano technician curriculum from The Piano Hospital, Vancouver, WA. That institution is specifically geared to/for the Visually Impaired. Of course, you can still do it, but you may have to unlearn a few things.<G>
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I