New Years Resolution

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Mon, 02 Jan 2006 22:47:13 +0100

Gotta agree with David Andersen here.  The ones coming in to our area
need plenty of prep to be really anywhere close too up to their best.
But then as I understand it they make no stop in the European office
before coming here so they are more or less direct from the factory.
Binding keys, strong rep springs, bedding out of wack (spielart or not :) )

Personally I have come to think that the good <<out of the box>>
reputation Yamahas have enjoyed through the years has kind of had this
reverse effect where a lot of techs tend to glide over the finer points
of regulation / voicing.  But when it comes right down to it... the
Yamaha can be every bit as much improved on out of the box as just about
any other piano.

Cheers
RicB

That said... I've seen much worse out of the box then Yamaha presents.

Ooohhh.  I respectfully beg to differ.  I prepared dozens of new Yamaha
grands over the last 6 years, and in my experience, the repetition springs
are ALWAYS too strong, and the jack position always needs refinement
(especially after you weaken the springs,) which brings the letoff closer,
but usually not close enough, then ya gotta do the drop, then ya gotta make
SURE the blow distance is at least 46mm and the key travel is a hair over
10mm.

These things above, plus getting the glides right (Ive talked about this
before) makes a striking improvement in the spielart and tone of the piano.
Very satisfying, because Ive experienced it to be a predictable outcome
every time.

David Andersen