Bridge notch anomaly morphing into voicing

david@davidandersenpianos.com david@davidandersenpianos.com
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:25:52 -0500 (EST)

Very, very effective work can be done at 11:30 and 12:30, but MUCH deeper
than you're going.
I use an 11mm #6 needle, angling the needle away from the "sacred area." I
work the knots out of the shoulders by starting at the end of whatever
string cut there is.  If the needle encounters resistance, I go to 11:00,
or even 10:30, go all the way in, and move up until the needle goes in
"like buttah,"  very smoothly with little resistance, at 11:30 or11:45.

Think of the sacred area as a steep triangle, like a steeple, with the tip
at the middle of the strike point. You can go deep if you angle the needle
15 or 20 degrees away from parallel with the hammer core, front and back.
This technique gives the note a fatter, more audible fundamental, moves it
"from the nose to the throat and chest," so to speak. It also removes
"clang" from the attack without losing clarity or brilliance.  Ya know:
"clang." That metallic, nasty attack mode that we all hate, a result of
too hard high shoulders.

All this is so much easier to show than explain in words. See me in
Rochester; I'll be happy to risk some blood for sharing what I know with
you guys...let's have a needle party!

David Andersen
La-la Land