Bridge Notch Anomaly

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 07:11:45 -0800

There is no reason if it's not a problem.  The discussion simply took a
largely because I didn't quite understand the original post.  My apologies.
There may be times when an inadequate notch on the bridge might have to be
corrected with the bridge pins still in place.  I have run into that problem
once or twice.  If that occurs, you can do it with a very small devised
chisel without removing the bridge pins.  The post may have no bearing on
the original issue but there is some merit.

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Ron Nossaman
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2006 11:29 PM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Re: Bridge Notch Anomaly

> The area is too small for most chisels to get to.
>
> David Love
> davidlovepianos@comcast.net
>

> Why not just use a chisel?
>
> William

Boy, this sucker went south pretty quickly. If hammer voicing
made any difference at all, why in the world would anyone
suspect the notching? Looking at the photo, the notching looks
functionally adequate to me, with the visible anomaly not
obviously a problem. Does anyone else see potential for a real
performance detriment here? I don't, unless the visibly loose
bridge pins cause false beats, which is highly unlikely this
low in the scale. And if the notching isn't demonstrably the
problem, why all this worry about "fixing" it?

I don't get it.

Ron N