Bridge Notch Anomaly

William Benjamin pianoboutique@comcast.net
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 15:20:32 -0500

Why not just use a chisel?

William

PIANO BOUTIQUE

William Benjamin

Piano Tuner Extraordinaire

www.pianoboutique.biz

The tuner alone,

preserves the tone.

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of David Love
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 9:22 PM
To: 'Pianotech List'
Subject: RE: Bridge Notch Anomaly

I'm not clear.  Is the zinging from the wood that is touching the string
from incomplete notching?  If so, I wouldn't hesitate to take the string off
and cut away the wood.  You can do this fairly easily with a small
screwdriver sharpened down to chisel sharpness.  Un hitch the string from
the bridge pins and carefully cut away the wood back to the pin on that
side.  I've had to do this on several occasions where I've found the notch
angle insufficient or not started back far enough.  This is pretty easy
being at the bottom of the tenor bridge.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net