Bridge Notch Anomaly

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 18:22:26 -0800

I'm not clear.  Is the zinging from the wood that is touching the string
from incomplete notching?  If so, I wouldn't hesitate to take the string =
off
and cut away the wood.  You can do this fairly easily with a small
screwdriver sharpened down to chisel sharpness.  Un hitch the string =
from
the bridge pins and carefully cut away the wood back to the pin on that
side.  I've had to do this on several occasions where I've found the =
notch
angle insufficient or not started back far enough.  This is pretty easy
being at the bottom of the tenor bridge. =20

=20

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of A440 Piano Service
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 2:24 PM
To: PTG List
Subject: Bridge Notch Anomaly

=20

Oh Wiser-than-I Ones, (of which there are multitudes!)

=20

I heard a "zinging" in the attack of a low tenor string on a customer's
piano.  She heard it, too, and didn't like it.  (Turned out a little
needling on the hammer at about 1 o'clock and 11 o'clock softened that
attack nicely) Upon close inspection I notice an anomaly in the way the
bridge was notched. It's the right string of the lowest plain string =
unison.
I was wondering if I might elicit a few opinions about the looks of =
this.
I've attached a photo -- I hope it comes through!

=20

The bridge isn't notched all the way across on that right-most pin.  On =
the
side that the string bears there is certainly a good notch, but to the =
right
of that it's not.  Seems like that would actually strengthen rather than
weaken the pin's hold, but since it looks unusual I thought I'd ask.
Extending upward from the un-notched edge there is a visible line.  =
That's
the border of the notching.  It is not a crack.  This is a fairly new =
piano,
about 3 or 4 years old, a Knabe Studio Upright.

=20

Thanks,

=20

John Dorr