charging for downtime?

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:00:42 EST

In a message dated 2/24/2006 4:26:06 P.M. Central Standard Time,
tubist@swbell.net writes:

Here's  the question: is it reasonable to charge something for the two hours
of  downtime?

No.

Change the schedule to work better for you, or accept the limitations put  on
you.  Or simply don't take the job.  But to charge a school system  (or
anybody, for that matter) for doing nothing...just doesn't seem right to  me.
Personally, I would never do it.  Nothing is ever perfect.   Not everything works
out to your advantage.  That's life.

Next year who knows what the schedule will be?  Maybe next year you  can tune
them all right in a row.  But I can guarantee you if you charge  them for the
downtime this year, you'll never find out:  it will be  somebody else tuning
their pianos.

Tom Sivak
Chicago