Bridge Notch Anomaly

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:48:16 -0800

If the notched area is buzzing against the string you have a little pro=
blem...have you tried seating the string?  As Ron N knows that permanen=
tly solves everything...;-]   Wouldn't be hard to pull pin(s) and re-no=
tch slightly...of course you may bitch up the bridge pin(s) so be prepa=
red to replace...i.e. have on hand...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, California

Original message
From: "A440 Piano Service"
To: "PTG List"
Subject: Bridge Notch Anomaly

Oh Wiser-than-I Ones, (of which there are multitudes!)

I heard a "zinging" in the attack of a low tenor string on a customer's=
 piano.  She heard it, too, and didn't like it.  (Turned out a little n=
eedling on the hammer at about 1 o'clock and 11 o'clock softened that a=
ttack nicely) Upon close inspection I notice an anomaly in the way the =
bridge was notched. It's the right string of the lowest plain string un=
ison.  I was wondering if I might elicit a few opinions about the looks=
 of this.  I've attached a photo -- I hope it comes through!

The bridge isn't notched all the way across on that right-most pin.  On=
 the side that the string bears there is certainly a good notch, but to=
 the right of that it's not.  Seems like that would actually strengthen=
 rather than weaken the pin's hold, but since it looks unusual I though=
t I'd ask.  Extending upward from the un-notched edge there is a visibl=
e line.  That's the border of the notching.  It is not a crack.  This i=
s a fairly new piano, about 3 or 4 years old, a Knabe Studio Upright.

Thanks,

John Dorr
Helena, MT