charging for downtime?

Paul Mulik tubist@swbell.net
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:24:34 -0600

Hello list,

Here is a situation I will be facing next week (times adjusted for the sake
of simplicity).

I've been hired to tune 3 pianos at a school which is about 20 miles away.
Two of the pianos are in the same room; the third is in a different room.
Because of class schedules, the first two must be tuned between 8:00 a.m.
and 12:00 noon (no problem there), but the third one is only available after
2:00 p.m., leaving me with a two-hour gap.

Here's the question: is it reasonable to charge something for the two hours
of downtime?  I've already cut them a break on the tuning price, since there
are six pianos involved (I tuned three today, and am going back next week to
do the other three).

Thanks,
Paul Mulik, Joplin MO