Water Damage to Practice Room U1s

william ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:33:28 -0500

Thanks Marcel,

I'm getting valuable comments from both lists.

On Feb 23, 2006, at 2:12 PM, Marcel Carey wrote:
> Both will need new casters, the one with damaged bass dampers will
> need
> new bass strings (they might sound OK now, but trust me DAMHIK).

I gather that regardless of how the bass strings fared down at the
hitchpins, those with wet dampers pressing against them will have
water seeping past the windings and into the core wire. Which will
rust and pop.

> They eventually won't perform as well as undamaged pianos. You
> probably will
> see pedal problems (screws coming out of the bottom), maybe key
> warping??

I didn't see any twisting a day later. What I can check out is how
water flows on a case panel such as the hinged top lid. One would
expect it to find its way between the edges joined by the hinges.
(I'm gessing that's how the dampers got it.)

But when it runs forward to the outward edge, then down over that
edge and arrives 3/4" later at the bottom edge of that edge, does it
then obey gravity and drip straight downwards, or follow some other
rule of surface attraction and wander back in along the underside of
the panel?

> Did the keys get wet? If they did, problems will come.

On the list of long-term concerns

Mr. Bill