laminated ribs

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 08:03:53 -0800

There is another issue to be raised.  How should one match the scale
tensions and anticipated downbearing angles to the rib scale.  There are
choices to be made.  I presume that you want a certain amount of deflection
of the soundboard assembly and that given a certain scale with a certain
downbearing load, you can calculate the panel assembly stiffness and preset
crown (in and RC&S board) to achieve that amount of deflection.  But there
are yet various ways to achieve that amount of deflection.  For a given
assembly you could increase the scale tension and lower the downbearing
angle or decrease the scale tension and increase the downbearing angle.  You
can design an assembly with greater stiffness to go with a lower scale and
greater downbearing or a lower stiffness to go with a higher scale and less
downbearing, for example.  Each combination, I presume, will produce its own
unique tonal characteristics and, probably, require a hammer of different
density and/or mass.  Those of you who are designing boards, how would you
characterize your goals and why?.  If we can produce a RC&S board that will
be able to accommodate any particular variation in load, what is so magical
about the .5  - 1.5 degrees of downbearing that seems like it came about
mostly due to the limitations of compression crowning.  Further, in an RC&S
board, what combination is most likely to give the general tonal
characteristics of your successful CC board.  And let's allow ourselves to
speculate even if we haven't actually built each variation.