Has anybody here had success with water-borne wood finishes?

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 00:22:58 EST

Mark
   Thanks for the feedback
   Right on!
  Dale

Hi Dale -

Yeah, the stuff is a bit of a crap shoot when you are new to it.  So  many
formulations, all 'superior' to the others, according to the ad  men.  The
chemistry on these critters is far more complex than nitro,  which I think in part
accounts for the vast array of differences  between the available choices. I
have found that some are very good for  rubbing to satin, while others (perhaps
in the same line, perhaps not) are  better for polishing to high gloss.  No
matter what anybody says, and as  much as I like 'em, I have never found any of
the water-based products to lay  out as nicely as nitro, BUT, some of them DO
lay out quite nicely, and build  much quicker due to their high solids
content.  They also dry to the  point of sandability faster, so it becomes a
question of how you spend your  time - spraying more nitro finish, or leveling more
on the H2O based.   You choose your poison.

As I originally stated, you gain something, you lose something, with  either
choice you make.  No finish of paradise in the land of  paradise lost...:-)

Mark Potter