mice in the piano

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:48:32 -0500

I did a little Google research that also confirms what Paul is saying.
(personally I trust Google more than CDC)

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Paul Chick (Earthlink)
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 9:13 PM
To: 'Pianotech List'
Subject: RE: mice in the piano

If you don't thoroughly clean the interior of the
piano, you will be putting whomever plays it in danger
as they, encouraged by the tuning, pound away on it
and kick up the residue under the keys, and breathe
it. But cleaning it will put you in danger. Much has
been written here about mouse-infested pianos, and you
should check the archives. I was coughing up blood for
a month once from tuning a  mose-infested piano, and
ended up at the hospital. Beware. If the infestation
is more than minor, tell her to get a  different
piano, and burn this one.
    Most definitely don't give it to a  poor family
"for their kids to learn on. " ( What rich people
usually do with infectious, dangerous pianos, in my
experience. )

If you are referring to the hanta virus, The CDC informed me there is no
danger after a couple of days of the mice "vacating" the piano.  Check the
archives.

Paul C