Has anybody here had success with water-borne wood finishes?

Mark Potter bases-loaded76@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 17:07:01 -0800 (PST)

Hi Dale -

  Yeah, the stuff is a bit of a crap shoot when you are new to it.  So many formulations, all 'superior' to the others, according to the ad men.  The chemistry on these critters is far more complex than nitro, which I think in part accounts for the vast array of differences between the available choices. I have found that some are very good for rubbing to satin, while others (perhaps in the same line, perhaps not) are better for polishing to high gloss.  No matter what anybody says, and as much as I like 'em, I have never found any of the water-based products to lay out as nicely as nitro, BUT, some of them DO lay out quite nicely, and build much quicker due to their high solids content.  They also dry to the point of sandability faster, so it becomes a question of how you spend your time - spraying more nitro finish, or leveling more on the H2O based.  You choose your poison.

  As I originally stated, you gain something, you lose something, with either choice you make.  No finish of paradise in the land of paradise lost...:-)

  Mark Potter

Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:
          Hi Mark
    Perhaps it was just the brand we used but it came highly recommended &  not perform as advertised in any way shape or form.  It was very difficult to use & satin rub finishes were literally impossible to replicate the usual nitro cell satin rub.  The only guy I spoke to at the time using it successfully was doing all high polish & he said the same thing I just did.
     Dale
    I like 'em, but if you have been spraying nitro lacquer for years there is a learning curve, alluded to rather vividly by Dale ;-).  As with ANY finish choice, there are advantages and disadvantages.  For me, the advantages of Water-based finishes outweigh the disadvantages enough for me to keep using them, now for 13 years or so.  Aside from the shop environment being rather friendly instead of lethal, the dry times, clarity, non-yellowing characteristics, quick and easy sandability, durability, and bottom-line cost are all factors that keep me a user of water-based finishes.  I currently - past 3 years or so - favor the Fuhr finishes, available from Homestead Finishing.

  Mark Potter