laminated ribs

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:47:46 -0600

> Ron,
>
> <<Mine are just 4/4, also with likely not a whole lot of
> bending. At least not enough to have any obvious affect.
> Ron N>>
>
> What does "4/4" mean?

Four quarters of an inch. Lumber-speak for an inch, which is
actually down to under 3/4" and shrinking. It's yet another of
those cases where the advertised reality differs from the
convention, and that from the observed.

> And, while we're at it, the term "MOE" was bounced back and forth in some
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Formsma

That one's more real, sort of. It means Modulus Of Elasticity,
and is a useful term for resistance to bending in calculating
beam deflection under load.

Ron N