laminated ribs

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 17:49:54 -0500

I'm not the authority on this stuff, so let's wait to hear from someone much
more qualified that I to answer, but I should think that ribs are spaced
closely enough (or should be - at least in a well-designed piano) so that
there is at most insignificant bowing of the bridge between ribs. A nice
hard maple bridge is pretty darn hard to bend - so I suspect that support is
pretty consistent between ribs and at the ribs.

Figure there is less than 100 lbs. downbearing pressure between any two ribs
(way less I suppose) - 100 lbs. (220 kg) applied to the center (of course on
the bridge, the load is actually spread out) of a six-inch span (15 cm) of
33 mm square hard maple - I can't imagine that bending at all.

I think often the number of ribs is dictated by the number and location of
nose-bolts!

Terry Farrell