Refinishing dilemma

John Delmore jodel@kairos.net
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:27:56 -0600

Thanks, guys.  Am I to understand that naphtha won't remove the decal?  The
underside of the top actually was not in nearly as bad shape as the outer
parts, but still looks like alligator skin!!!   I've got some "before" pics,
maybe I'll try to figure out how to post them when I get some "after"
shots-some interesting ones, including a true "band-aid" repair of a bridle
strap (and the obligatory petrified mouse, but nobody wants to see that!)!!!
John

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Mark Potter
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2006 1:01 PM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Re: Refinishing dilemma

Hi John -

I concur completely with your remedy for your dilemma.  Clean it up as good
as you can and leave it as is for an easy demo of 'before and after'.
Before refinishing the top side be sure to meticulously tape off the
underside to protect it from solvents and marring.  I use the blue "safe
release" masking paper with 4-5 layers of newspaper.

Mark Potter

John Delmore <jodel@kairos.net> wrote:
Hi list!
I have a bit of a refinishing dilemma.  The old Brinkerhoff "lab" piano is
coming to the end of stripping.  Underneath the top, there is a beautiful
old Arts and Crafts style "warranty" decal, probably quite avant-garde in
1916.  I haven't been able to locate a duplicate, and think the only way
would be a really expensive custom reproduction.  I'm considering leaving
the underside alone, maybe a clear coat to seal (it's pretty crackled).
That would also serve as kind of a neat "before and after" reminder.  I'm
not really planning on selling this! piano, just a learning experience.
Any thought, ideas, opinions?
John