laminated ribs

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 19 Feb 2006 16:17:39 EST

Ric
   When you read John Hartman's articles on the  "Effects of down bearing" on
tone the method he describes in his 4 th  installment is the way many  people
I know personally set up bearing load  in their new boards including me. (old
boards too with variations)  It is  an old factory method used by Steinway &
others to set bearing in the  factory. It doesn't take a genius to do it, just
careful consideration  & attention to details including the approx EMC at the
time one is  setting the bridge heights for bearing.
   The description of condition of bearing in the  1960's Stwy L I wrote of
in a recent post & the toanl results I  routinely encounter in my own set up
this way tells me that this method is quite  accurate and capable of finding the
sweet spot in boards with new or adequate  crown.  Putting a number on it
nice but it won't change my procedure or  outcome  although inquiring minds
always demand to know including  mine.
  In a board with little crown 200 pounds might be all  you could apply
safely so a consensus will/should probably only apply to new  boards.  Oh yeah
consensus....? here??   right!!!!
  Reading the articles will answer the question you ask  in your paragraph 2
  Happy reading or maybe you did that  already?
  Dale

Given  the fact that I am about to sink my feet into this kind of thing
seriously  for the first time... I shore nuf would like to see some
semblance of  consensus formed here.  Strikes me that a range of 200 to
900 lbs of  down bearing on the soundboard is a rather huge window.

Could you guys please go a bit into how each of you arrive  at your
figures ?  And I would also like some words on how typically  this load
is spread over the panel.... along with a few words about how  one
designs ribs to carry the load as it varies over the  board.

Also... assuming the greatest load is up in the  treble (which I seem to
have got into my head is the case) how likely is  it that given a board
with grain going perpendicular to the bridge with  the longest ribs then
being in the treble area, would be able to hold up  against the minimum
figure arrived at  above.

Thanks
RicB