laminated ribs

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:51:53 -0600

> Consider a basic scale of moderately high tension. Say 40,000 lbs.
> overall. With this string tension 1,000 lbs of string downforce equals
> 2.5% of scale tension. That is quite a lot considering that most
> companies are claiming string downforce more on the order of 0.5% to
> 1.5% of string tension (which would be 200 to 600 lbs). I thought I was
> setting my initial string downforce pretty high at around 1.0 to 1.5%. I
> don't like thinking about what I'd be doing to a board loading it up to
> 2.5%. I can't imagine it being happy enough at that level to want to
> stay there.
>
> Del

isn't out of line for an RC&S board with a decent back scale
length and no cantilever), to 1.75° at the top will put you in
the 800lb range at 40,000 lbs overall tension. A low bass of
0°, to a top end of 1° would get you a tad over 250 lbs,
depending on tension distributions and such. I don't see a
problem with the higher bearing figures with a rib scale
designed to support it.

Ron N