laminated ribs

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 10:33:47 -0700

Terry,
    In both beams, solid and laminated, the beam is a "system". When you
add up the parts of the whole, bending stress and breaking strength vary at
different values. The difference in variance changes dramatically with the
overall difference between systems. A two-ply lamination will have very
similar bending stress characteristics, but the breaking strength will be
more different. As the number of plies increases, the variance changes, of
course, but not as much. A dozen variables make it difficult to call it
logarithmic, but it's basically a case of diminishing returns for bending
compared to improved breaking values. If I recall correctly. It's
been...... decades.

Guy