Soundboard Animations

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 11:13:27 +0100

Hi Bernhard.

That was exactly the end consensus of the discussion here on Pianotech a couple years back.  The debate was reallllly heated at times... grin... for the usual reasons.  In the end I even contacted piano friend and physics/acoustics Dr Askenfelt who agreed...

Personaly I still cant  quite get past the idea that  despite the fact that longitundinal waves do not couple with the air.... their developement is  (should be in my mind) intregrally a part of the overall wave development of the panel... ie... that what affects the longitudinal must also affect the rest.

Never could get a good answer to that, mostly because there was so much heat that it was difficult to keep the discussion even close to topical.

I'd love to take that up again however... as there strikes me as much that is misunderstood.... but  ..... well the last one got pretty ugly....

Put up more animations tho... please !!

Cheers
RicB

Hi Ric,

Will do my best to set up more animations.

I think the travelling transversal waves are often misinterpreted as
longitudinal movements
because of their travelling direction in the longitudinal direction with a
wavespeed usually denoted as "c".
The real longitudinal waves in the wood play the same minor or even
negligible role in the soundboard
as the rotational vibrations in the strings in my opinion, because they have
no coupling to the air.
(not in the strings,.where they can cause serious ringing).

regards,

Bernhard