Harpsichord tuning

Dave Smith dsmith941@comcast.net
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 08:48:56 -0500

Conrad, all,

> Maybe the purest in me jumped a little hard on this, but in the time
> someone is setting up an ETD, I've got half or more of the temperament
> done.

I think I still wasn't clear in my thoughts.  If using equal temperament, on
a harpsichord, no setup of SAT is needed.  Just turn it on to the base page
and tune from A4 to A3 or whatever temperament octave you are used to using.
Apply appropriate aural checks.  (Or just tune aurally as you suggest).

Historical temperaments are a different story, as Avery pointed out.
Harpsichord sound is so pure that I think different temperaments stand out
more than on pianos maybe.  Cant prove it, just my experience.  Anyway, it
is quite easy to tune an historical temperament with an ETD.  Often more
tricky by ear, I think.

>>" My only sin is that I am a Phil Bondi admirer"
>
> Au contraire, mon ami. The error of your ways is in admitting it!

You got me there, Conrad,  what was I thinking?!

Dave Smith
SW FL