laminated ribs

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 21:19:59 EST

Terry
  Thanks.  Makes more sense  The big picture  coming into
focus...5...4...3...2...1....
    This rib idea Lends itself to a thinner  more uniform thickness panel
then.
   Dale

If I understand rib tapering theory correctly (and maybe I  don't - so please
correct me), the straight tapering that Del and Ron O use is  based on
engineering principles that suggest such a design will best support a  centered load
more-or-less evenly along the length of the rib (and allow  freedom of
movement at the ends). Whereas the constant thickness rib with the  sculpted tapers
at the ends lends itself better to a compression-crowned  soundboard where the
constant thickness of the rib will tend to induce  development of consistent
crown as the panel hydrates (and allow freedom of  movement at the ends).

I realize there is everything in between also, but isn't  that the big
picture?

Terry Farrell