laminated ribs

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:09:54 -0500

If I understand rib tapering theory correctly (and maybe I don't - so =
please correct me), the straight tapering that Del and Ron O use is =
based on engineering principles that suggest such a design will best =
support a centered load more-or-less evenly along the length of the rib =
(and allow freedom of movement at the ends). Whereas the constant =
thickness rib with the sculpted tapers at the ends lends itself better =
to a compression-crowned soundboard where the constant thickness of the =
rib will tend to induce development of consistent crown as the panel =
hydrates (and allow freedom of movement at the ends).

I realize there is everything in between also, but isn't that the big =
picture?

Terry Farrell

  ----- Original Message -----=20
    By the way you sent this thru last week & I didn't have time to say =
it was very well described & if one takes time to really anaylisze the =
dynamics of this rib design the vibrational effiecncy of this shape  rib =
seems ... transparent. =20
     The way you described it made it crystal clear in my thought =
process  & I hope others.  I catch on quick after a long time!
    What about using the same approach with a solid rib.  The only =
difference in our procedure as to shape  has been not using as much of a =
straight taper at the rib end.=20
      Vibrational waves emanating at the bridge & radiating outward is =
all s.o.p. thought and this rib design whether it be laminated or not =
seems to aid the idea of the soundboards center as the starting point =
for vibration & also showing the most movement.=20

    Dale